This blog aims to share with foreign language teachers some projects and classroom activities I have developed throughout my career as an English teacher in Brasil, as well as express my feelings and choices on news, literature, songs, movies...




sexta-feira, 18 de maio de 2012

DESERT FLOWER


Let´s start writing something about movies. All my friends and colleagues  know  that I love movies, actually I travel on them, especially drama. Some of them I have watched more than once like FORREST GUMP,  A BEAUTIFUL  MIND, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, GODFATHER, IL POSTINO, MODERN TIMES, CINEMA PARADISO, OLIVER TWIST AND MANY, MANY OTHERS, JUST TO MENTION SOME.
I WILL POST TODAY ONE THAT I LOVE:  DESERT FLOWER which is an  autobiography of Waris  Dirie a Somalian nomad circumcised at early age, sold for marriage at 13 and became an American supermodel. Today she is a  UN spokeswoman against circumcision.

After watching to the movies the students have done a research about her, and the problem she had faced,  and  discovered  that there are more than 20 countries that still practice the ritual. It was a moment for reflection on cultures and violation of rights. A very touching story.


2 comentários:

  1. Parabéns Laís por saber envolver os alunos e ao mesmo tempo aplicar o Inglês. Você é professora nota 10!

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Kind words,Mário. This grade coming from a respectable Math teacher like you worth far. hugs

      Excluir